renovating and building our new permanent home
100 Bedford Road, Lincoln, MA
We are excited to share construction updates as we convert the Wang family home at 100 Bedford Road into the new permanent home of Birches School. For a tour, please contact Cecily Wardell, Director of Operations, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Week of October 16, 2017:
- Subgrade on parking and driveway is finished.
- Re-wiring the electrical continues with a focus on the caretaker's apartment.
- Interior demo continues, including demo of siding to prepare for the front addition.
- Framing for caretaker's apartment begins.
- Demo of concrete slab in garage is finished. The former garage will become a classroom.
- Site work including the rain garden and boulder wall continues.
- Our new water service is tested in preparation for flushing next week.
- The team working on the town's athletic field is fully mobilized.
Week of October 9, 2017:
- Demo of concrete in back addition begins.
- Interior demo continues.
- Sprinkler installation continues.
- Work begins on the HVAC systems.
- Re-wiring the electrical system begins and existing light fixtures are removed and stored.
- Grass is growing in the septic field.
- Town of Lincoln continues tree clearing and stumping on the athletic field.
Week of October 2, 2017:
- Chipping ledge for outdoor light pole bases begins.
- Fire suppression system (sprinklers) installation begins.
- Front lawn (above septic system) is fully seeded.
- Concrete slab under the back addition demolition begins.
- Regrading the parking lot continues as we make a construction path for the construction vehicles needed to build the town athletic field.
Week of September 25, 2017:
- Septic is inspected and backfilled.
- Water retention areas near the parking lot are inspected and backfilled.
- Interior demolition continues.
- Inside electrical work begins.
- Parts for the fire suppression system are delivered.
Week of September 18, 2017:
- Work on the septic continues with septic sand delivery, and delivery of parts for the drip irrigation system.
- Back roof line is re-sealed after the back addition is demolished to protect against rain and wind.
- Interior demolition continues.
- Survey points for the lamp poles are established.
- Wood chips are piled on the former pool area in preparation for future playscapes.
Week of September 11, 2017:
- The second garage is demolished.
- The back addition is demolished.
- The walkway to the back addition is demolished.
- The pool is crushed and filled in.
- The fence surrounding the former pool is removed.
- Septic tanks are installed and digging begins for the septic field. We are using a new technology called "drip irrigation" to ensure as little change to the contours of the front lawn as possible.
- Grading on the driveway continues.
- Stormwater and groundwater management systems are inspected and backfilled.
- Plumbing work on the portion of the house that we are preserving begins.
- Construction of the rock retaining wall at the far side of the parking area begins.
Fall/Winter 2016/2017 at 100 Bedford Road
- Birches and the Lincoln Land Trust acquire the property at 100 Bedford Road on November 17, 2016.
- Work begins on documents to submit for Site Plan Review. Documents include footprint of the proposed school building, engineered drawings for the parking and driveway, landscape and lighting details, location for the septic system, and location for the walkways and sidewalks. Documents show conversion of the property from a single family home to a school with parking both for the school during school hours and the proposed athletic field during practice and game hours.
- Traffic studies, site engineering, and architectural work begin.
Spring 2017 at 100 Bedford Road
- Birches School and the Parks and Recreation Department of the Town of Lincoln pass site plan review with the Planning Board of Lincoln to proceed with proposed plans to turn the site into a public-private partnership. Birches School at 100 Bedford Road will provide access and parking for a much needed Lincoln town athletic field.
- The town of Lincoln votes unanimously at Town Meeting on March 25, 2017 to fund the purchase of land and the development of 3 acres for the athletic field.
- Work begins on grading, stormwater and groundwater management systems, and improved visibility for the driveway.
- Percolation tests are done as work to engineer the septic system continues.
Summer 2017 at 100 Bedford Road
- Architectural and structural drawings for the renovation of retained portions of the Wang property and for the new additions are finalized and permitted for construction.
- Drip irrigation septic system and reserve area drawings are finalized and permitted for construction.
- Work continues on grading, stormwater and groundwater management systems, and improved visibility for driveway access.
History of our Partnership with The Lincoln Land Trust and the Town of Lincoln
Lincoln is a wonderful place for a nature-based school because about 40% of the town is in conservation and Lincolnites’ passion for the land is almost palpable. The Land Trust (the oldest private land trust in the country) has a visionary staff and, in January of 2016, we signed an MOU with the Land Trust. Approved by the boards of both organizations, the MOU declared that we would collaborate on developing curricular materials and also that the Land Trust would help Birches find a property near conservation land where we could develop informal “outdoor classrooms.” We believe that our formal collaboration with the Land Trust is the first of its kind in the country. In November of 2016, the Land Trust and Birches School purchased a 16-acre property, 9 acres of which has gone into conservation. Our new school is housed on 4 acres, and the remaining 3 acres were purchased by the town of Lincoln in March 2017 to build a badly needed athletic field. We are very grateful that these three Lincoln entities could realize individual goals in a remarkably collaborative way, conserving and making environmentally-sound use of precious land in the Greater Boston area.